The Palazzo was built at the beginning of 1400 for Giovanni Marcello where previously an ancient Monastery stood, known as Palazzo Marcello.
Renown for artistic merits were the two brothers, Benedetto and Alessandro Marcello, who were composers betwen the XVII and XVIII centuries.
Benedetto was called Prince of Music, by his contemporaries and the second is best known for the adagio per Oboe. A curiosity is the logo of the Hotel, the Blue lion holding a sun, goes back to the late 1400, when the King Renato Angio' gave it to Jacopo Antonio Marcello as a token of friendship, also designating him to the Crescente Order, a very exclusive Knights' Order at the time. The King also offered him a motto 'L'os en crossant' which means 'the rising tide'.